As some of you will be aware, our Director of Rugby, Will Thomas, will be returning to the UK at the end of the season to be with his new family. From the start Will set about bringing a level of professionalism and organisation that we were sorely lacking before. His ability to quickly and keenly take on issues, and his commitment to the Club has been greatly appreciated and I'm sad to be losing such an asset.
That being said, I'm sure Llanrothal will prove a healthier destination than the White Stag, and the Sportsman's will now be safe from his waving banana fingers. We wish you all the best mate.
P.S. Please find below the job description for the now (at time of writing) vacant HKFC Rugby Section DoR position.
HKFC Rugby Section Chairman
Director of Rugby / Rugby Section General Manager - HONG KONG FOOTBALL CLUB(“HKFC”)
HKFC one of the largest Sports Clubs in Asia established in 1886. The HKFC Rugby Section has the largest number of rugby players in Hong Kong and founded the Hong Kong Sevens in 1976. We have 7 Men’s and 2 Ladies XV Teams and over 1000 Colts, Girls and Mini Rugby Players. We are looking for a new Director of Rugby for the 2017/18 season with training starting in July 2017 and a season start for September 2017. The Senior Men’s and Ladies Teams are in the Premier Division of Hong Kong Rugby and both teams have a number of Hong Kong International Players. Applicants will be expected to be a current Director of Rugby at the Elite Level and/or played and coached at a high level of elite rugby and have excellent commercial and business skills.
- Develop and implement a holistic strategy to ensure the success of the Rugby Section within Hong Kong Football Club.
- Create a clear pathway development system across the Rugby Section with particular focus on (i) fast-tracking talented HK based Colts into the Senior teams and (ii) monitoring junior players who may have taken temporary time out of HK e.g. for tertiary education.
- Lead recruitment efforts with the 1st team Head Coach to supplement existing and emerging HK based players with high calibre overseas players who fit the traditions of HKFC rugby.
- Liaise with recruitment committee to provide career guidance/opportunities for current players/recruitment targets.
- Provide clear reporting guidelines and review structure for the existing coaches, CCO’s, management and various sub-sections within the Rugby Section.
- Act as a key point of contact with the HKRU to drive the agenda of the Rugby Section and ensure that it is at the forefront of any changes being implemented by the wider rugby community.
- Coordinate activity and coaching education for Mini Rugby.
- Act as a key figurehead and point of contact across the entire Rugby Section including existing players, coaches, ex-players, sponsors and parents.
- Provide professional and technical oversight of the HKFC Rugby facilities and equipment.
- Ability to represent the Section effectively within the HKFC with other sporting Sections.
- Act as Teams Director for HKFC International Tens Tournament.
- Meet with and coordinate activity with Sponsors.
- Plan and coordinate attendance for Level 1 and Level 2 Coaching certifications for Parents/Coaches/ Players across the Section with HKRU.
- Work with the Rugby Section and HKFC finance team to develop and oversee the budgeting and key financial aspects of the Rugby Section.
- Overseeing coaches, physiotherapists, strength & conditioning trainers, administrators as needed.
- University degree or equivalent desirable.
- IRB World Rugby Level 3/4 Coaching Certificate.
- Experience of Playing at a High Standard of rugby.
- Substantial experience in leading programmes and administration in rugby.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, evaluation and planning skills.
- Proven ability to manage people, budgets and sports facilities.
- High level of computer literacy.
- Strong links with international rugby bodies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (comfortable presenting internally and to media).
- Awareness/knowledge of Child Protection in sport and equal opportunity issues.
Please send CV to Kevin.Taylor@Hkrugby.com CLOSING DATE 20th February 2017